What is IRM:
IRM (Information Rights Management) - is the unique plugin-free protection mechanism that will apply an additional security level to your MS Office document to prevent its unauthorized access and distribution.
The feature will let users download IRM encrypted documents and work with them in protected native format on local PC.
How it works:
In case the document is assigned IRM permission, users will need to successfully authenticate with VDR credentials before opening the document. In addition, the document will be protected with watermarks. Copying the content, saving changes and making screen captures will be disabled. At the same time, administrators can revoke access at any time, so the document cannot be opened again.
- MS Word (*.doc, *.docx)
- MS Excel (*.xls, *.xlsm, *.xlsx)
- MS PowerPoint (*.ppt, *.pptx)
How to assign IRM permission
In the permission section, the administrator should assign Download encrypted file permission.
Two additional modes of access are available for MS Excel documents downloaded as encrypted files:
- Secure analysis - user can see the formulas and analyse data by recalculating, applying own formulas or editing the document. Saving the changes or new copy of the document is disabled.
- No formulas - user cannot see or edit formulas or the document itself
*Print option will be available in case the document is assigned Upload, Download original, Download PDF or Print permission.
How to open IRM-encrypted file:
1. Download the document in an encrypted format
2. Click on IRM document downloaded to your computer.
3. Fill in your User name and Password into corresponding fields.
*In case two-step verification is switched on you will have to also fill in one-time SMS code into the password field. Please adhere to the following format: password#SMS code
The system will remember the successful authentication and will not ask users to re-authenticate within a timeout period. By default, the timeout is set to 8 hours, but it can be customized for your project by Customer Success team.
- Windows XP and above
- MS Office 2007 and higher